Friday, February 25, 2005

Tales from the couch

So I have a new therapist. I am not sure yet if I like her. I have only seen her twice. The first time, I really liked her. The second time, not so much. Nothing irritates me more than therapists who, after knowing me for all of 45 minutes, make sweeping generalizations about my life and my problems. Which this one did. Had me all nailed down. Not only that, she kept harping on me joining her therapy group as an adjunct to individual therapy. Because of course I have both the time and the money to go to therapy twice a week. Why wouldn't I? I love it when professionals become so rich (she works from home in one of Toronto's most expensive neighbourhoods and her husband is an architect. Yeah, they're loaded) that they lose all sense of the fact that not everyone has $200 a week just lying around taking up space on their dresser top. Anyway, we agreed to "revisit" the issue later. We'll see if I'm still visiting her later.

Anyway, the whole thing pissed me off, especially when I stated quite clearly that it was not in my budget (hello, student, you know, one who pays for the honour of working for others for free). I thought it was extremely disrespectful, not to mention classist and condescending. It also reminded me of this time I went to see a psychic. On the spur of the moment when I was in undergrad I decided to stop in at a psychic on the way home. The sign in the window said she would read palms for $5. Once inside, I was informed the price was $30. I (stupidly) told the woman I only had $15. She (of course) agreed to do it for $15. So then I sat there while she briefly glanced at my palms and then told me my aura was so clouded with astral junk that there was no way I would be able to turn my life around or solve any of my problems until it was cleansed. Which she could do for me. For a price. So basically I paid $15 for a commercial. And not being one for conflict (hence the therapy), I paid the $15 and went on my way feeling royally screwed.

Ah life. What can you do? Just keep on trying, I guess. :)

No comments: