Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Hypocrisy paralysis

As I set about my dissertation proposal and start to envision my research project (running a consciousness-raising/activism group to combat body dissatisfaction in women), I come up against the dilemma that faces many feminists or really any one of us who wants to make some sort of change in the world - how can I possible complain about X when I Y? How can I possibly complain about women feeling ashamed of their bodies when I myself diet and want to be thinner? How can I possibly complain about sweat-shop labour when I wear Nike shoes? How can I possibly be a feminist when I'm thinking about taking my husbands last name? It's the trap of thinking that unless I do everything perfectly myself, I can't criticize anyone else, can't advocate for another, can't stir up some action for change. Let he is without sin cast the first stone.

Well I say fuck it. Cast your stones. This way of thinking is a trap that keeps us from creating change in our world. You don't have to fix everything to fix one thing. If everyone recycled one more toilet paper roll, think of how much waste would be diverted from landfill. If everyone bought one more indie mag, think about many alternative media would thrive. If everyone gave $1 to a local charity, think how much money would be raised. I've said it once, I'll say it many times (or rather Walt Whitman will) - "Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself (I am large - I contain multitudes)." Don't get stuck in hypocrisy paralysis. Taking one action, however small and imperfect, is better than taking no action. See if your stone can make a dent, however slight, in sexism, racism, the trashing of the environment, the isolation of North American culture or whatever else raises the righteous anger.

There, now I can return to this and read it whenever I begin to doubt that I do what I do for a reason and that there is meaning here.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

Right on, sister!