Sunday, March 11, 2007

When free shit is just free shit

So my dad participates in many organizations, many boards, and many charitable events and as a result, he often comes by many gifts of questionable worth. You know, the free t-shirt from the charity walk, the free golf umbrella from the charity tournament, the commemorative poster from an event. And while they are lovely gestures, they tend to pile up over time. This drives my mom a little crazy. My dad, however, has trouble parting with such items unless he is sure they are going to a good home.

Sometimes this works in my favour. I have received very useful things such as flashlights, pens, post-its, and tape. Sometimes, however, the items are not as desirable. For about 15 years, he has been trying convince me and my sisters that the commemorative artwork best suited for a medical office lobby would look really great in our living rooms.

But the most common recipient of his hand-me-down winnings is my lovely husband Mark. Now there have been some occasions in the past where Mark has benefited quite nicely from his status as the sole son-in-law. For example, he got a cool BMW t-shirt that he really liked. Other times, he hasn't made out so well. Behold the maroon rainsuit:



Sometimes even free isn't worth it.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

Are you kidding me? I frickin' LOVE that rain suit. Mark should wear it to work.

And I'm not sure, but I think Dad might have actually purchased that one.