Wednesday, November 01, 2006

November, finally!

So I'm feeling really positive that it's November. October has been such a crazy month - highs and lows like nothing ever before. Somehow seeing the calendar page turn feels like a major accomplishment. We survived. I was a little sad because I feel like I kind of missed out on Halloween. Usually I put up all my decorations, wander the neighbourhoods watching everyone setting out pumpkins and decorating their porches and then wander around on Halloween night and check out all the little ones in their costumes. And of course eat lots of candy. But this year, in the haze of post-partum life, it all just kind of blew by without much notice. I went for a total of two walks in the neighbourhood and ended up being too tired to go out on Halloween night. And too tired to really care too much.

But I am feeling excited for Christmas, which also makes me more excited for November. Ben will be 2.5 months when Christmas rolls around and we'll have survived the worst of the early weeks (everyone tells us 3 months is the magic mark). Plus I'm just feeling homey and sentimental. My sisters are going away to Costa Rica for Christmas so it won't be our usual traditional Christmas but I'm okay with that. I feel like there will be a little less pressure and that's a good thing this time around. So my parents will come into the city or maybe we'll go to the cottage but it will all just be low key. And that's just fine.

It's fun to think about starting traditions with Ben. I was thinking about the Santa Claus Parade, which we always watched on tv but if we stay in Toronto, Ben can see it live. Provided we all feel like standing outside for HOURS that is. And I have to make him his own Ross family stocking. It will be so great in a couple of years when he really understands Christmas and Santa and all the magic that it holds for little ones. It's far away still but it's nice to think about. And nice for me to finally feel excited about my son instead of just crying! :)

No comments: