Sunday, February 05, 2006

Gwyneth Paltrow, how wrong I was about you

So the other day I doing a little surfing and I came across this story about Gwyneth Paltrow:

LONDON (KP International) Just because you're one of Hollywood's top stars doesn't mean you couldn't use a decent pay cheque once in a while.
Oscar-winning actress
Gwyneth Paltrow recently 'fessed up that the reason she took a much-criticized job as a spokesmodel for cosmetic giant Este Lauder was because she needed the cash.
"I basically stopped making money from acting in 2002," she was quoted as saying. "All the things I've done since then have been things I've really wanted to do and I have not made money from them.
Paltrow, who is expecting her second child with hubby
Chris Martin, has also reportedly been singing the praises of girdles. "You think, 'It's fine because I'm pregnant so I'm meant to be fat.' But afterwards it doesn't go for a while, so girdles are good to raise the morale.

Seriously? Girdles? This is just so sad. So a new mother who has a bit of trouble losing her baby weight should wear a girdle so as not to offend the rest of the world with post-partum body? Um. Okay. Because the worst thing that could ever happen, ever, is for a woman to gain some weight while pregnant and not lose it the instant she delivers. Oh, well, not the worst thing, the worst thing, apparently, is for said weight to not be disguised by uncomfortable, grippy, smothering, tight undergarments. That's the worst thing. And Gwyneth Paltrow? Please. Her with pregnancy weight is still skinnier than 90% of the women on the planet.



I mean, I get that she feels a little self-conscious since she's used to being super thin. I get that she's just trying to boost her self-esteem a little. But it's just so disappointing. GP has generally come across as intelligent, thoughtful, if not outright feminist then at least in line with feminist values. So to find her endorsing girdles and publicly worrying about her baby weight is just such a let down. I guess she's lost whatever "sensitivity" she said she gained from donning the fatsuit for Shallow Hal.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said:

"Seriously? Girdles? This is just so sad. So a new mother who has a bit of trouble losing her baby weight should wear a girdle so as not to offend the rest of the world with post-partum body? Um. Okay."

She said:

"...girdles are good to raise the morale."

I say:
"Let people do what makes them feel good about themselves. Contrary to what you've inferred in your post, she is not wearing girdles for the benefit of anyone but herself. Nobody tells you what to wear and what not to wear, especially in reference to what's UNDRENEATH the visible outer layer of clothes. If she hadn't mentioned the girdle, you would never even know she was wearing one so how can it be that offensive to others?"

Gillian said...

Yeah, I'm not so down with Gwyneth these days either. I recently read a quote where she said, "I really don't like drunk women. I think it's such a bad look. I think it's very inappropriate." Who put her in charge of determining what is or isn't appropriate for women? And while I agree that people (both men and women) tend not to their best foot forward when intoxicated, I hate what is implied by her comment. She seems to imply that women should be composed, polite and proper at all times (whatever proper is). And the "bad look" part of her comment demonstrates that her concern isn't for the health and well-being of women but rather their external appearance, specifically how they appear to others who are forced to look at them while they drink, let loose and enjoy life. Gwyneth, you chose to stop drinking, wear girdles and quit working to stay home to have babies, but that doesn't mean it's right for every women.

Erin said...

In response to anon:
The point is not that women shouldn't do things to make themselves feel good, it's that women should not feel bad for carrying extra weight and feel like they have to hide it using undergarments. The fact that girdles exist is the problem. On a case by case basis, you can argue self-esteem but such individualistic arguments serve to undercut the social factors contributing to the lowered self-esteem in the first place. The "individuals/women should do whatever makes them feel good" argument that applies to dieting, cosmetic surgery, push-up bras, and make-up in acutality is reflective of the internalization of oppression and support for the status quo.

And even if GP's comments were not so strong an endorsement of girdles, any time a celebrity comes out making any kind of pro-girdle statement, I find it distressing. You say she is wearing it for her own benefit and I would ask how it benefits her really. The goal is for women to feel good about themselves in their natural state, not as an object and wearing a girdle, unless for medical reasons, is typically done in order to create an altered appearance more in line with conventional beauty ideals.

Anonymous said...

If somebody (an agent?) is forcing her to wear it for some reason, then that sucks but it's a situation she has the power to escape. People are free to make their own decisions about what they wear and why. She is making her opinions public, but is not forcing them upon anyone else. Smart people do not blindly follow anyone's lead; they make their own educated choices. Is it really worth the energy to worry about what a celebrity says or wears? Adults are generally capable of forming their own thoughts independent of what any celebrities "tell them to do". Meanwhile, people keep complaining about "infulences" on their children. Well guess what? Want to do something about it? BECOME AN INFLUENCE ON YOUR CHILD. Infulences come from all over the place... celebrities, video games, teachers, other kids etc. Instead of changing everyone else, maybe these parents should change themselves...

Anyway my point is that it's probably not worth the energy to worry about it. Celebrities are generally crazy. They live in a world that most of us could never relate to anyway so who cares what they are doing?

Erin said...

Okay, I don't know if this latest anonymous is the same anonymous (please people, log in!)so I'm not sure if this is an ongoing conversation or what. But, anyway, I think it actually is worth the energy to worry about what celebrities say and do. The reason I write about these things is as a way for me to process what I perceive to be examples of sexism that I encounter in my daily life. I believe it is important to bring my own awareness to these sorts of incidents and understand what they say about our culture rather than to passively sit and absorb them. I also find it fun to spend some time deconstructing (read: making fun of) media messages. There are far too few forums for the critical consumption of media in our everday lives. So rather than being a passive recipient, this is how I choose to engage. If you do not think it is important to bring your awareness to these sorts of things and you do not find my particular take on the world amusing, I would invite you not to visit my blog. Obviously, it's your perogative to visit and comment but I've never really understood people who come to blogs that they don't like and leave mean comments. There are much better ways to spend your time. Unless of course you're a fan of Buddy, in which case I would recommended checking in once a month and skipping straight to the recent entries on his royal heiny-ness.

Erin said...

That should be prerogative not perogative. Damn you Bobby Brown! My misunderstanding of your lyrics when I was 12 will haunt me until the day I die!