Wednesday, May 04, 2005

WTF Award - the first recipient: THAILAND and the Metro



Okay, so as those of you who check in semi-regularly know, I keep track of "ads that piss me off" and share them with you guys titled as such. Well, yesterday I came across this in the Toronto Metro and since it wasn't technically an ad, I couldn't place it under ads that piss me off so I have instead created the "What the Fuck?" awards. They will be given to stories, occurrences, public displays that just baffle me with their immense stupidity, ignorance, etc.

So first up is this. In case you can't make out the caption, Thailand hold the "Miss IMF" contest - IMF short for I Am Fat - in which they find the woman who most resembles an elephant in "elegance, size, and grace." This is reportedly done to promote elephant conservation.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against saving the elephants. I just think it's very sad that at least some people in Thailand value elephants more than women. I mean, come on! Is there any way of looking at this that is not degrading and offensive? And WTF with the Metro running this as a humourous piece of amusing world news rather than recognizing it as sexist, fat-phobic bullshit?

Anyway, this is what I was reading in the paper as I traveled to my body image therapy group. Made me feel real good. Thanks Thailand. And thank you, too, Metro.

WTF Award recipient, May 2005.

Seriously though, WTF?

No comments: