Thursday, May 12, 2005

Oh, John Black, how can you see through that squinting eye?

So, I am sitting here at 8:56, waiting for the OC to finish. Why, do you ask? Because I have set my VCR to tape it and soon it will be over and I can rewind it and then I can watch it. I have to say, I am not very pleased with the OC lately. Not that it was ever a high-caliber show, but this last season, it really seems to have disintegrated into crap. As has Days of Our Lives. I have been watching Days for, let me count, 17 years. Holy shit, that's a long time. I have made some of my best friends at university sitting in the common room watching Days. I have inaugurated my husband into Days such that he can name most of the Bradys and does a mean John Black impression. I saw Hope die FOUR times (if it were real life, her kids would be soooo fucked up. Can you imagine if your mother died and came back from the dead FOUR times???). I saw Vivian Allemain roll around on top of the grave where she had buried someone alive. I saw Stefano fool the detectives of Salem by wearing sunglasses and a fake moustache (he truly is the master of disguise). I saw Marlena levitate above her bed and I saw Isabella morph into a demon.

Dude, I've seen it all. I stuck with that show through some lean, mean times. But now, it's so boring. It is so boring that I, a fan of 17 years, have been unable to stomach watching a full episode for over a year. I have such a relationship with the show, it's taken me a while to come to terms with how much it sucks. First, I stopped watching the show regularly. I would just read the daily synopsis on my website and decide if I wanted to tune in the next day. Then, I stopped tuning in at all and just read the synopsis. Then the daily synopsis (synopsis, synopsis, synopsis, I don't think I've ever written the word synopsis so many times before) became too boring so I just started reading the weekly, short-form synopsis. Now I occasionally read the spoilers.

I admit, though, I did tune in the other day. I saw in the grocery store that Roman and Marlena were about to escape the island where they've been held captive and reunite with John Black and Kate. Since John Black crying with joy is one of my favourite mocking points on Days (along with Marlena's $4 million gasp and Stefano being hit my lightening), I tuned in just for a good laugh. I was sorely disappointed when he did not cry with joy, instead staggering around slightly and opening and closing his mouth like a fish flopping around on the dock. He also had a walking stick with an eight ball on the top for a handle. I haven't been watching - I'm assuming it was a gift of significance from Kate - so I can't say for sure what the deal was but I thought it was crap. John Black would never carry an eight-ball walking stick. As if. He's too James Bond for that. That's more a Bo Brady thing. lol

Anyway, the show is shit. That's all. OC's over now so I'm off to watch!

1 comment:

Gillian said...

Oh, Days! I started watching as soon as I was old enough to not need an afternoon nap. But I have long since given it up. I lost interest with the changing of the guard to the younger generation. Too many kids going off to boarding school as toddlers only to return 3 months later as full-grown young adults with their own sub-plots.
It's been more than 20 years and it seems Days has finally come full circle. My earliest memory of the show was when almost the entire cast was trapped on a deserted island. That's when Roman ("real" Roman) wrestled Stephano off a cliff. I think it was the first time either of them died.
At this point, the plot lines have been recycled so frequently, I don't think anything could regain my interest - unless they bring Calliope back!