Monday, May 02, 2005

Jill and Kelly cross the finish line!



So this Sunday my sisters and I took part in the Bell Walk for Kids to help support Kids Help Phone. This is something that we just started doing in the last year. I am all about Kids Help Phone as I have learned through my work that many kids use it. Last year Kelly and I walked for the first time in the freezing rain, risking hypothermia in the name of charity! This year Jill joined us. And so did the sun (much, much nicer).

This year we were also officially a team - the Falcons. Our mascot is the brave and noble tiger, of course! Jill and Kelly made us wicked team t-shirts so we looked super snaz. Plus, our team was only for cool people and we were on it, so of course, we were cool!

The walk went well except that we got cheated out of mini-chocolate bars by hoards of children and their hard-core, line-butting parents who grabbed them by the boxful from the volunteers. This was difficult for Jill to make peace with but somehow she held on to her goodwill and finished the walk. Kelly had to fight extremely challenging conditions in the port-a-potty (note: port-a-potties at events with children, never a safe place to go). Me, I had to contend with the fact that very few people seemed to join me in my fever for the dance, although Kelly did an excellent job of boogie-ing down with me during the warm-up (see my sister's blog for pics www.everythingisaspoon.blogspot.com)

The walk only took two hours this year (ever walk 5 km at a snail's pace?) which was an improvement over last year when the rain seemed to dull the crowd's will to move, causing the walk to cross into 3 hour territory. Afterwards, we were treated to a gourment lunch of hot-dogs, goldfish crackers, and (finally!) little chocolate bars. Poor Kelly, who is on an cleansing program, could not partake in this rich bounty and had to satisfy herself with organic trail mix and herbal tea.

Apparently, the walk raised $600,000 in Toronto. And I won a t-shirt! Woo-hoo! However, shame on the Bell Walk people for not providing recycling containers on route when they handed out hundreds of plastic water bottles. Boooo for recyclables going in the trash (I recycled mine later - I'm so good).

Gooooooo Falcons!

No comments: