Saturday, June 17, 2006

i robot

So a couple of years ago Mark and I got our first air conditioner - an awesome and much needed early wedding present from my parents. Those of you who live in Toronto with the summertime humidex of 40 degrees know what I'm talking about. Sadly, because of the shape of our apartment, the lovely coolness has never reached our bedroom. And absolutely no cross-breeze reaches our bedroom. No matter how comfortable the rest of the apartment is, the bedroom has remained a hot sweaty sauna of misery.

So this year, with being pregnant, I decided enough was enough. Last summer it would take an hour or more to fall asleep just because of being so hot and if you woke up in the night, you'd have to go through it all over again. And I anticipate waking up frequently in the night this summer. Plus, in order to ensure the correct sleeping position, I am surrounded by a little cage of pillows that keeps me from rolling onto my back. Not exactly conducive to airflow. So after playing the "for the good of our baby" card with Mark, we decided to get a portable air conditioner for the bedroom (we can't have a window one in the bedroom). Mark's dad got wind of this and was awesome enough to give us the cash for it - yeah Al and Kathy!

So we wasted no time and went off shopping. Behold our frosty beauty.




Mark just finished installing it and I'm loving it. Could it look anymore like a robot? The little exhaust tubes look like arms and everything. It reminds me of a cross between Rosie on the Jetson's and some of the less than stellar droids that the Jawas had on that huge transport in Star Wars, especially the one that was just a brown trash can with feet. Now as long as it doesn't try to kill me in my sleep, it will all be good.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

Cute! You need to come up with a name for it.