Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Can you return from the dead twice?

Ha. As I was typing in the title I started thinking of Days of Our Lives where Hope has returned from the dead no less than 4 times. So I guess the answer is yes. Anyway, it has been almost a month since my last entry, which is just inexcusable. But lots has happened. I was away in the lovely British Columbia for 10 days and also I have been struggling a lot with my mood and motivation as it has been over six months since I went off my antidepressants and I'm starting to feel it. The last few days have been especially bad but today things were a little better so I'm feeling hopeful.

BC was awesome. Went out for a family wedding - spent a day in Victoria, three in Tofino and three in Vancouver and a couple of days traveling from Victoria to Tofino to Vancouver. My family and I encountered many weird, wondrous, and beautiful things on our trip such as these:

Miniature World in Victoria - a little museum made up of miniature scenes. Except instead of being handcrafted art pieces, the scenes are just made up of dollar store toys slapped together with model kit buildings.



In some cases, they ran out of even these toys and substituted home-made crocheted dolls or ceramic figurines that had nothing to do with the scene represented. There was also a surprising amount of nudity!





The giant trees of Cathedral Grove (there were also giant slugs in Cathedral Grove):





The market between Victoria and Tofino where goats graze on the thatched roof. They also had amazing wooden toys and I would have bought a tonne if I had had a bigger suitcase. As it was I was very restrained on the whole trip - go me!




The beautiful Tofino, where there is a man named Turtle who laughs so loud that they have placed an 11:30 p.m. curfew on laughing (this is not a picture of Turtle, this is Mark, who laughs like a normal person, though he generally calls "quiet times" on laughing after 11:30 p.m. too).




And finally, perhaps the strangest thing on our trip, our hotel door. We stayed in the Sheraton Wall Centre in Vancouver, a fancy conference hotel downtown. Anyway, their guests must have a lot of security issues because the doors each had six peep-holes and none of them were at head level. You can make them out in this picture but it's blurry because the people in the room started to open the door as I was taking the picture so I had to run away and never bothered getting another pic later. lol

No comments: