Monday, April 18, 2005

Harry Potter and the Evils of Procrastination



Well, it's been a long, long time since I have posted and I offer my apologies. I have been procrastinating on a paper by reading the Harry Potter books over again and now I am overcome with Harry fever! I can't wait for the sixth book. Apparently, there is all sorts of good back story on Snape and why Dumbledore trusts him and on James and Lily. Something huge about Lily is revealed in the sixth or seventh book. Who knows? There are websites all over where they try and figure everything out but I haven't been reading them too closely. I don't really want to know anything ahead or figure anything out. I will say though that there are people out there who take it waaaay too seriously.

Anyway, I've posted a pic from the fourth movie, which I am also excited about. I love Rupert Grint (Ron). He just cracks me up with his great face. And I love his long shaggy hair in the 4th movie. Above is a scene from Yule Ball when he's in his second hand "dress robes." Too funny.
I'm excited about this movie as Goblet of Fire is one of my favourites in the series (I think Philosopher's Stone is my very fav though - it's just such a good beginning!). There's a LOT to pack into this movie though and I'm not sure how successfully they'll be able to do it. I found that was already a problem with Prisoner of Azkaban - the character development and flow of the film really suffered in the attempt to cram all of the critical plot elements in. I also strongly disliked the new Dumbledore. Dumbledore had been played by Richard Harris who I thought gave an excellent portrayal of age and wisdom with the lighthearted slyness and the quiet empathy that make him such a great character in the book. Unfortunately RH passed away and was replaced by Michael Gambon who I don't like at all. He has none of the warmth or understatedness that I associated with Dumbledore. I can only hope he'll do a better job in GoF than he did in PoA.

Anyway, for those of you who are similarly obsessed with HP, I suggest checking out www.mugglenet.com for more info on the movie and the book.


Funny Ron! Posted by Hello

1 comment:

Gillian said...

You are such a nerd, Erin! You're procrastinating on your clinical psychology docotorate work to re-read Harry Potter. You even have all the chatroom acronyms down (GoF, PoA). And you call me a geek!
Oh, wait... I am still reading Managing Software Requirements: A Use Case Approach and it's really good. OK, I'm still the bigger nerd.