Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Freecycling is cool



So I was recently turned on to the phenomenon of freecycling and have to spread the word. It's basically a movement that developed in the last few years with the goal of keeping things out of landfill while developing a sense of community and fighting consumerism. It works like a listserv. If you have something lying around your house that you don't want anymore, you post the group and offer it to anyone who would like it. Then people email you to ask for it. You get to pick who you want to give it to. You pick the person, let them know, and then they come pick it up at your convenience. The group stresses that this is a gift that you are giving someone and it's up to you who you want to give it to. You can give it to the person whose email was funniest, shortest, first, 17th, or whatever you want. They take the stance that no one is more deserving than the next person and to just have fun with it. You can also request items that you need and see if anyone is willing to pony up.

So I joined a few days ago and today I had my first freecycling experience. I offered a bunch of dog things that Buddy totally ignores and has never used. I had seven responses in one day and picked the one that I liked best. The person I picked, Marjorie, came to get the things today and was super nice and I felt really good about giving her the stuff. I also answered a plea for some curtains by offering up an old IKEA panel that's moved with me five times but hasn't been used in three years.

Anyway, I dig things that are environmental and I dig things that are community building so I'm all down with freecycling. If you are interested you can go to www.freecycle.org or to www.freesharing.org and find out where there are groups in your area. It's free to join - the only thing they ask is that you offer something up for freecycling before you ask for things and that you always been polite. Check it out. It's super cool.

Freecycle! Yay! Posted by Hello

No comments: