Sunday, May 13, 2007

My first Mother's Day

So I had a lovely first Mother's Day. Mark and Ben both gave me lovely cards, beautiful flowers, and breakfast in bed. Plus I got a substantial break from my mothering duties for a good chunk of the weekend. All in all, quite wonderful.

The weird thing though, was being in the malls this week and seeing all the Mother's Day stuff and thinking that I'm the one that's supposed to like these things. Boxed sets of bath gels and powders, low quality diamond jewelry, gift certificates for manicures. All I could think was "Gak, there's few things I want less than that!" Plus, some of the advertising pissed me off. There was one ad that read "For my mother, your selflessness is inspiring." Um what? I don't want my son to see me as selfless or to emulate selflessness. I want him to see my as self-ful, someone who was able to care for others and herself, not instead of herself. I want him to see me as someone with a strong sense of self, not a self-sacrificing, identity-less mother.

But I will take the pretty flowers.

No comments: